The best place to find the latest news about what fellow Pioneers are up to is on the Clapham Pioneers Facebook group.
Clapham Pioneers support members in races throughout the year. Here are a few of the races our runners are entered into in the near future.
- Elizabeth’s 100th Park Run – This Saturday 16th September our wonderful Elizabeth will be completing her 100th parkrun at Brockwell Park! If you’re around please do come along and help her celebrate this massive achievement!
- London Duathlon – Sunday 17th September. At least two of our Pioneers are taking part in the London Duathlon set in Richmond Park.
- Ealing Half Marathon – On 24th September a number of Pioneers are running the Ealing Half Marathon. Everyone who isn’t running is very welcome to come along and cheer along your fellow Pioneers. We will also be organising a get together after the race. Watch out for more details on FB soon.
- Windsor Half Marathon – 24th September. Entries close when it’s sold out.
- Oxford Half Marathon – 8th October, entries close 25th September.
- Royal Parks Half Marathon – 8th October, entries closed, but a few Pioneers are racing this beautiful Half Marathon through Central London
- Thames Meander – 4th November
If you fancy joining us, don’t forget that membership includes registration to UK Athletics which gives you great discounts on races throughout the year.
2017 race night results – with May added
The first Tuesday of each month is Race Night, when we now run a 5k route in Battersea Park. This is timed, and the results published on here (see below), so you can challenge yourself to get better as the year progresses.
|First Name||Last Name||Best in 2016||Feb-17||Apr-17||May-17|
Smashing 26.2 in 2017
April and May are busy months in the marathon race calendar. A good number of Pioneers ran Manchester, Paris, Brighton, Boston or London (or even a couple of these), helped by cheering supporters working as hard as the runners. The following were our crew pounding 26.2 around London on 23rd April 2017.
The Pioneers annual trip abroad took us to the German capital in April 2017. Along with a marvellous, flat and fast 13 miles on the Sunday, Pioneers also found time to sample local bier and sekt (by the way, that’s sparkling wine to non-German speakers!):
North London Half Marathon
Not only did a number of Pioneers smash this hilly half, which finished in Wembley Stadium but Pioneers had the third placed lady (Jessica Lowe, far left in the left hand photo):
Battersea Park 1 mile relay
This year’s Battersea Park 1 mile relay was on Monday 25 July 2016. Clapham Pioneers once again made a good bright orange showing – this year we had 12 teams – 36 runners registered. Results of the 1 mile relay, and some great photos, can be found here.
Clapham Pioneers Midsummer Run
This is a ten-mile run that we do once in the summer on the Tuesday evening slot; this year was actually on 21 June, the longest day, so we all finished in daylight. The route was from Wingate Square up to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, and back.
Local race series
There are a number of race series that take place in south west London, including:
- Run Through races: 5k, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon races at Clapham Common, Battersea Park, Wimbledon Common & Richmond Park (and elsewhere in London)
- Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence races: 5k & 10k races on Saturday mornings or Monday evenings in Battersea Park, plus the 1 mile relay
- Innovation Sports races: 5k, 10k and half marathon races at Clapham Common, Battersea Park or Wimbledon Common
- Serpentine Brooks Last Friday races: 5k races on the last Friday of every month at 12:30 (lunchtime) in Hyde Park
- Veterans AC masters’ races: 5 mile or 5k races in Battersea Park for masters athletes (over 35!)
Every week Parkrun organises free 5km timed races around the world. They are open to everyone, free, safe and easy to take part in. Pioneers thinks this is one of the most exciting developments in running in the past few years, bringing well-organised and free timed events to a wide group of people. We are a big fan of them!
The closest Parkruns for Pioneers are held in Brockwell Park, Tooting Common, and Dulwich Park on a Saturday morning at 9:00am. You just need to register online and print off your barcode to take with you; registration is quick, easy and free, so go ahead, register here.
We don’t necessarily have to stick to the road! Some Pioneers have been running trail races: the Northumbria Coastal Trail marathon and the Pembrokeshire Coastal Trail marathon; the Isle of Wight Easter races; and the South Downs half marathon. Some of these are ultras, for those who think a marathon isn’t far enough, like the the Centurion South Downs Way 50, the Mаxі Rаcе trаіl du Lаc d’Annеcy, and The Wall Hadrian’s Wall 69-mile race.
The last couple of years, Clapham Pioneers have entered the London Cross-Country Championships at Parliament Hill. This is a different sort of challenge, but is open to anyone who would like to have a go. The men’s race is 10k and the women’s is 6k. It’s a hilly cross-country course, and as there are junior races earlier in the day, it’s always pretty muddy. It’s good fun and it feels great to be representing your club in the line-up at the start. Next one: Saturday 19 November 2016. Look out for a call for entries, here or on Facebook.
Clapham Common 5k/10k/15k
Another strong showing for Pioneers, with over 20 members running in one of the races around the common. We had second place in both the men’s and ladies’ 10k races. The results are available here.
Battersea Park 1 Mile Relay
Pioneers had a tremendous turnout for the lung busting 1 mile relay on Monday 7th July. We had 21 runners, making up 7 teams, the most of any running club attending. Go Pioneers! Click here to see the results.
Barcelona Half 2014
We had an amazing turnout of Pioneers who travelled over to Spain for the Barcelona Half Marathon in mid February, the race where the women’s world record was broken. More than 18 Pioneers took part and a few personal bests were smashed. The weekend was so successful we are already looking at options for a trip abroad for next year.
Paris Marathon 2013
A number of Clapham Pioneers did the Paris Marathon on 7th April 2013 and made it into the local newspaper – view the article here.