Clapham Pioneers meets once a week on Tuesday Night at 7:15pm at Wingate Square (SW4 0AF). There are usually 40 – 60 people who come along and members and non-members are all welcome.
At 7:30pm we head over to Clapham Common for an instructed group warm up, runners then have the choice of three running options, a shorter 5km/3Mile run for beginners, a longer route or a coaching session. There are changing facilities and lockers available at Wingate Square but please bring your own padlock. Post run, it’s off to the pub to get to know your fellow Pioneers.
Long routes and coaching sessions vary each week and options are announced in advance via the weekly Pioneers email.
3 miles / 5 km
This is a good route for beginners or those want to run a shorter distance; the route takes you around our beautiful common and through the charming Abbeville Village back to base. Take a look at the route here (Map).
Each week we offer a longer run route of between 6 and 8 miles, alternating each week:
- 6miles / 10k (Map) – this two-bridge route takes you along the river on Chelsea Embankment and back through the beautiful Battersea Park.
- 7miles / 12k (Map) – this route takes you past Wandsworth Common and on to Earlsfield, through Wandsworth Town and home straight up Battersea Rise
- 8 miles / 13k (Map) – be a tourist in your own city as you take in the Thames on this beautiful route passing through Parliament Square on route to a riverside stretch past the iconic Battersea Power Station.
Intervals / coaching session
Each week we offer coaching sessions, focusing on strength, endurance and speed, led by one of our four UK Athletics trained coaches.
5k race night
The first Tuesday of the month is your chance to challenge yourself with our 5k run in Battersea Park. We run this route at the beginning of every month and we will time your run, which you can compare with other Pioneers.
Running other days
Pioneers only has one official club night, Tuesday. However the club is a great way to meet other local runners. Many of the club members have met training buddies to go out with on other nights or at the weekend, especially when training for a race.
Please click on this link for a risk assessment of all Clapham Pioneers running routes.
All members and non-members of the club are kindly requested to familiarise themselves with the club rules and abide by them at all times.
- Clapham Pioneers, and its coaches, members, or other associates assumes no liability for information contained herein, nor will be held responsible in any manner whatsoever for any injury up to and including death which may occur through reading and/or following information within this site, or participating in group events
- The club does not take responsibility for any injury, loss or damage that might arise as a result of participation in club activities
- The club is operated and managed by a number of volunteers in their free time and these volunteers cannot accept any responsibility for any events that occur at the club
- Every person attending the club must take full and complete responsibility for their own actions. Know your limits.
- If you require any special assistance, it is your responsibility to notify run leaders and/or volunteers. The club may not be able to fulfil your special requirements.
- All members and/or attendees acknowledge that participating in and volunteering for organised group runs, social events, and/or races with this club are potentially hazardous activities and may cause injury and/or death
- All members and/or attendees acknowledge that the club activities may include (but not limited to): falls, contact with other participants, the effects of the weather, including high heat and/or humidity, traffic and the conditions of the road etc, all such risks which is reasonable foreseeable
- If you have any medical conditions that could affect you, it’s your responsibility to make the club aware of these
- If you feel dizzy, faint or unwell it’s your responsibility to stop exercising and to notify other runners of this
- If you stop mid-session you must not go home without notifying the session leader
- It’s your decision alone whether or not you are fit and able to run. If you are unsure consult your physician. We recommend that you can run at least 5k comfortably
- The volunteer leading the session reserves the right to refuse to let you run with the group.
- The minimum age that we can accept is 18 unless accompanied by an adult
- Any matters of concern should be directed at the Clapham Pioneers committee
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for running must be worn. You should dress appropriately for the weather and for the lighting conditions
- We recommend that you run with your mobile phone
- During darker evening runs we recommend that you bring a hand held torch or wear a head torch together with reflective clothing
- Each runner must accept full and complete liability for their actions
- Clapham Pioneers running club may use your photographs to share on social media. If you do not wish for this to happen please contact a member of the committee
History of the club
Clapham Pioneers running club was set up in 2008 by Tim Slee, son of Ian Slee, a passionate runner who ran not to break records or be the fastest but for the love of running and inspiring others to do the same.
In 2007 Tim’s father Ian set up a running club in his hometown of Looe, Cornwall: Looe Pioneers. Tragically Ian lost his life to a brain tumour and in tribute to their inspirational founder Looe Pioneers incorporated Ian’s initials in lower case into their club logo PiONEERs.
Tim Slee set up the Clapham Pioneers running shop and associated running club in memory of his late father, but after a number of years of tough retail trading the Clapham Pioneers shop shut its doors in 2012. Clapham Pioneers running club still operates and is now run by a group of volunteers, and despite the shop’s closure Ian’s legacy lives on in Clapham.
Clapham Pioneers in an entirely not-for-profit organisation and all membership fees and invested directly into the club and its members. We remain to this day the only running club in the heart of Clapham.
Watch out for our distinctive orange vests dashing around the common, join us and help a legacy live on.